Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Fall Veggie (and sometimes Chicken) Pot Pie

I've taken to making dinner for friends (and not just the roommate G) more and more often, and this week has been no exception. Some friends and I go to trivia on Mondays (this week we took 3rd place). I made Pot Pie for me, G and Tom. It was easy to cook for all of us because I made a vegetarian pot pie filling with a bunch of fall veggies from the CSA share, and then roasted some chicken to toss into the boys pot pies. (I used my awesome soup cups, but I forgot to take a picture. I did the same puff pastry lattice for mine as Paula Deen did, so I used her picture). The recipe is VERY loosely adapted from Ina Garten's and was inspired by a veggie pot pie I had at Highland Kitchen (theirs had brussel sprouts, which I would have added if I had them)

Ingredients
2-3 breasts chicken
2 onions chopped
2 leeks, split and sliced into 1/2 inch slices
3 cloves garlic grated
3/4 cups flour
1 cup white wine
4 cups water
2 tbsp better than boulion (I did one each of mushroom and veggies)
1 cup crimini mushrooms chopped
1 small butternut squash peeled and diced 1/2 inch
1/2 small head of fennel (tops and core removed) diced
1 small celery root diced
2 parsnips peeled and diced
2 heads of broccoli chopped
1 large carrot peeled and grated
1 tsp herbs de provance
2-3 tbsp cognac
butter and oil
puff pastry

coat chicken with olive oil, season and roast at 350 for 35-40 min. Set aside
set the oven for 400 and toss veggies in olive oil. Season and roast for 20-30 min until tender
melt 2 tbsp butter and add a tbsp or two of olive oil
sautee onion, garlic and leeks until translucent
add flour and seasonings. cook for 2-3 min
Add wine to deglaze pan and then add water and better than boullion and cognac
when veggies are done roasting add them to the pot and simmer until sauce is thickened
Fill individual ramekins (add diced chicken to those you want to have meat in)
cut your puff pastry (which should have been dethawing) into strips. Weave a lattice pattern across the top of the ramekin (Mine used six pieces per ramekin)
bake at 400 for around 20 min until puff pastry is done ( you can do an egg wash if you want it shiny on top)

No comments:

Post a Comment