Saturday, October 16, 2010

Buttercup Squash Soup

My roommate and I are splitting a large farmshare from Enterprise Farms now, so we get more veggies. This past week we got two tiny buttercup squash, and one big one. The two little ones seemed too small to do much with, so I thought I would make some soup.

Initially I thought about making this a curry soup, or using some herbs de provence or something, but one I tasted it I liked how simple it was

Ingredients
2 small buttercup squash
1 onion, minced
1 leek halved and sliced (light green and white parts only)
3 cloves of garlic grated (it's so much easier than mincing)
1 bay leaf
1 carrot shredded
1 tsp paprika
1 pinch aleppo pepper
1 cup veggie broth
1 cup soup
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp olive oil

Cut the squash in half and place cut side down in a baking dish with a quarter inch of water
bake at 4oo for about 25-30 min

in a soup pot melt butter and add olive oil
cook onion, leek and garlic in the pot
add carrot and bay leaf and continue to cook

once the squash is done and cool enough to handle, use a spoon to scoop out the soft flesh into the pot

add the broth and then either use an immersion blender or put into a blender to make it smooth

pour back into pot, add milk and season to taste

No comments:

Post a Comment