Thursday, September 23, 2010

Callaloo Butternut Stew


Callaloo Butternut Stew
Originally uploaded by kel h
This is based on a recipe from the food network. Callaloo is a green from the carribean, and is sort of a hearty spinach.

The original recipe calls for salt pork which I omitted being a veggie and all, and I subbed butternut squash that I got in my CSA for the pumpkin in the original

2 tbsp oil
2 tbsp butter
1 onion chopped
3 cloves garlic minced
1 bunch Callaloo cut into strips
kernels from 1 ear corn
1 small butternut squash peeled and cubed
1 can coconut milk
1/2 tsp soy sauce 1/2 tsp thyme
cyanne pepper, salt, and pepper to taste

Heat the oil and butter
sautee onion and garlic until translucent and season
add butternut squash, callaloo,corn and coconut milk
bring to boil and simmer for 10 min or until squash softens
add soy sauce and season

I also tossed frozen shrimp in with 5 min to go to add protein.

Serve over rice or with cornbread

No comments:

Post a Comment