Friday, August 13, 2010

Bread and Butter Pickles


Bread and Butter Pickles
Originally uploaded by kel h
I have an abundance of cucumbers from my CSA, so I decided to make pickles

taken from AllRecipies.com

Ingredients

2 small onions, sliced
1/4 teaspoon mustard seed
1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1/8 tsp corriander seed
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
1 tablespoon and 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
2 cucumbers, sliced

pour the spices and sugar in a saucepan with the vinegar. Add onion and garlic and boil. Layer cucumbers and onions in a jar, alternating ever half inch or so. Then pour the liquid over. You may need to squish the cucumbers and onions down a bit. Refrigerate. The longer the better.

If you want to "put them up" you should follow a canning recipe, as this is just a refrigerator pickle recipe and is not suitable for keeping unrefrigerated (mostly this has to do with me being too lazy do sterilize everything, and also liking pickles enough that I'm pretty sure I will eat them within a few weeks)

No comments:

Post a Comment