Monday, August 30, 2010

Ninja to the (food) Rescue!


010 - Copy
Originally uploaded by kel h
So, I know I mention Trader Joe's every once in a while, but I'm not sure if I've explained what it is that I do to get the fun foods from Trader Joes.

I am part of the Boston Food Rescue (Mass Appeal), which means most friday mornings I drive down to the Trader Joe's on Boylston St in downtown Boston, and fill my Ford Focus hatchback with banana boxes filled with food that was otherwise going to be thrown away. You'd be surprised how much you can fit in the back of a Focus hatchback. My record is 14 banana boxes.

Once I pick up the food I drive it to a distribution point where folks drop of food from other stores (stop and shop and Panera also participate in this area). Then someone else distributes it to local food pantries and homeless shelters. As a perk, you get to take a box home with you. I try to keep what I take in proportion to what I pick up, so on lighter weeks I bring home less, and I try to take home things that my roommates will appreciate too.

They are always looking for volunteers around the country to pick up food, and it is an easy way to make a difference to hungry families in your area. Check out the website to find out how you can sign up

No comments:

Post a Comment