Thursday, August 19, 2010

Making new friends: Tomatillo Corn Chowder


Corn Chowder
Originally uploaded by kel h
I made this for lunch. I got Tomatillos in my farm share, which I've never used before. Most of the recipes I found for them were salsas, but I thought this would be more fun. I still have some left, so I will probably make salsa this weekend

Ingredients:
1 onion diced
2-4 cloves garlic minced
1 jalapeno pepper minced (seeds and membrane removed)
2 tomatillos diced
2 red potatoes 1 inch diced
1/4 cup flour
1 can hominy
1 ear corn (cut off the kernels, keep the ear)
4 cups veggie stock (I used better than boulion no chicken stock)
1 cup cream
1/4 tsp cyanne (more or less to taste)
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp dried cilantro
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
salt and pepper to taste

heat up the oil and butter
sauté the onion and garlic for abt 2 minutes til soft
add jalapeno and tomatillo
cook for another two or three minutes
add potatoes and cook for five minutes
add flour and some salt and pepper and cook for a minute or two
add liquids, spices, and corn and corn cob (you keep the corn cob in to simmer and add more flavor)
bring to a boil then simmer for about 5-10 min til potatoes are at the consistency you like

The tomatillos add a nice tang, and the hominy has an interesting texture

No comments:

Post a Comment