Friday, August 13, 2010

Blame it on the celery


Hot Sauces
Originally uploaded by kel h
I got celery in the last two CSA farmshares, which always reminds me of chicken wings from home. I made buffalo-style tofu tenders for dinner tonight, but I ate them before I could take a picture. They're super easy to make.

Ingredients:
1 block firm or extra firm tofu
vegetable oil
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tbsp butter or margarine
2 tbsp hot sauce

Take a block of tofu and press it between some paper towels to get rid of excess water. Then cut into four slices. Dredge the slices in egg and then seasoned flour (you can add some breadcrumbs for extra crunch, but the crunch is less like the traditional wing than I like) and fry in a pan with oil. Meanwhile melt 1 tbsp butter in the microwave and then stir in two tablespoons of Franks Red Hot (I mixed it up by doing one tablespoon franks and one tablespoon chipotle tabasco, which is less authentic but I like it). Flip the tenders and brown on both sides, then toss in the sauce and serve with celery and bleu cheese dressing on the side

No comments:

Post a Comment