Friday, August 27, 2010

Everybody say Jamaica! Jamaican Callaloo

One of the great things about getting a CSA farmshare, is that it exposes me to a variety of new foods I had passed by in the market (or that I had never even seen in the market), and keeps me from falling into the rut of cooking the same five things over and over again (one cannot live on black bean enchiladas and stir fry alone). Today's recipe is a great example. I had never seen callaloo before joining a CSA. It's pretty tasty, like a hardier spinach.

Callaloo is a green found in the Caribbean, as well as a type of stew made of the greens traditionally seasoned with thyme, onion, garlic, and scotch bonnet pepper. It can also include ham, lobster or crab. I made some adjustments based on what I had on hand (specifically subbing jalapeño for the scotch bonnet, and adding grilled shrimp)

I started with a recipe from a website on Jamaican Traditions

Quick and Easy Callaloo Recipe....

INGREDIENTS:
1 bunch freshly cut callaloo (six or seven stalks)
1/2 c coconut milk
1 onion chopped
1 ripe tomato chopped
1 jalapeño pepper seeds and membrane removed, diced
1/2 tsp thyme
1/8 tsp salt
1 tbsp butter or margarine
1 tbsp olive oil


DIRECTIONS:
Pluck the leaves off the stems, wash and dry
cook onions in oil and butter until soften
add rest of ingredients and bring to boil
simmer until leaves are tender
abt 20 min or so

I served it with grilled shrimp

Enjoy. Everybody say JAMAICA!
This is my third post in the Loving Local Blogathon to support the MA farmers market association. Please donate and help support the imporant work that they do to help increase access to locally grown fresh produce across the state and especially in urban areas.

1 comment:

  1. I love meeting other bloggers who get the Enterprise CSA through this blogathon. Right on, callaloo!

    ReplyDelete